Local NC disaster drill partners schools with first responders
| 12.14.2006 | 06:52:19 | Views: 3391 | ID:
December 14 '06: Local school officials partnered with emergency managers and first responders to conduct school evacuation exercises in North Carolina, the StarNewsOnline reported earlier this week. The area's preparedness drills were the first of their kind in the region, and school officials said that the 3,600 students and faculty performed well.
School officials hoped the drills would prepare the students and faculty in case of a natural disaster, nuclear power plant emergency or other critical event. The exercises were a long-time in the planning process, "For about two years, school officials worked with county emergency management personnel on developing a school evacuation plan for multi-hazard emergencies," the StarNewsOnline reported.Details of the plan included school officials at Williamson Elementary School, Southport Elementary School, and South Brunswick being called by the Brunswick County Emergency Management Department. During the mock evacuation, buses guided by local law enforcement helped coordinate the relocation to an emergency site. "Southport Elementary Principal Randy Horne said everything ran smoothly in transporting his 600-plus student body to and from Supply Elementary School," meanwhile about 12 objective overseers observed the drill process.
Copyright ©2007 TheBreakingNews.com. All Rights Reserved. No reproduction in part or full without prior written permission.