Earthquakes continue in West, officials urge local preparedness
| 05.01.2008 | 10:06:19 | Views: 3269 | ID:
May 1 '08: CNN reported seismic experts saying they are puzzled by the continuing earthquakes which now number 344. The continuing activity has prompted Governor Jim Gibbons to ask all residents of the state to be prepared for any emergency, the Insurance Journal reported. Gov. Gibbons has said 72hour kits and a family response plan should be in place.
Last week, officials said that the activity was a sign that more quakes could occur, and many residents were calling their insurance agencies asking about earthquake damage protection. Gov. Gibbons said, "The ongoing earthquake swarm in the Mogul area west of Reno reinforces the need for every citizen to create a personal emergency plan.""The people of Nevada should feel assured that the State will be there to help them should a major earthquake occur," the Governor said. According to CNN, emergency management personnel have partnered with area schools to train children on proper earthquake response drills. Kristen Brown, principal at Beck Elementary said the children "pretty much have it down," by the third drill. "We make noises over the intercom, sort of a 'mock earthquake' , and had the kids do the duck, cover and hold method." In fact (aforementioned link), the Utah Seismic Safety Commission has urged the duck, cover and hold method since late 2004 when they released a press announcement saying it would help to reduce injury for those caught indoors during an earthquake. National Blueprint Tags: Communication & Public Information, Citizen & Community.
Copyright ©2007 TheBreakingNews.com. All Rights Reserved. No reproduction in part or full without prior written permission.